FBT Payroll & Salary Packaging Solutions – helping Australian and New Zealand businesses to manage their Employer Obligations
We are Australia and New Zealand’s only 100% dedicated Employer Obligations Consulting and Compliance practice.
Our leadership team
Our leadership team has in-depth tax, payroll, accounting and business experience gained in a range of industry groups and in a broad range of roles. Together we provide the complete Employer Obligations solution. Importantly, we have skills across accounting & finance, systems & IT, tax consulting, payroll, salary packaging, mobility & relocations, tax audits & investigations, FBT software, indirect taxes, training and project management.
Paul Mather – Director and Founder
Paul has over 25 years Employer Obligations experience in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
Paul is a registered tax agent, a chartered tax adviser, a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and holds a Certificate of Public Practice in Australia. Paul holds a Master of Tax from Sydney University and a Bachelor of Business Studies from Massey University, New Zealand. Paul was a member of the former Australian Taxation Office National Tax Liaison Group (NTLG) Fringe Benefits Tax Subcommittee.
Prior to starting his own practice Paul worked in Employment Taxes and Indirect Taxes teams for 10 years at Ernst & Young, Sydney. Prior to this Paul worked in commerce in Australia and London. In Paul’s early career he worked at Chartered Accounting firms PKF and BDO in New Zealand.
Ron Sergeant – Tax Manager
Ron is a CPA and FTIA with a wide range of tax experience in large corporate and professional services areas. Ron holds a Bachelor of Tax from the University of New South Wales.
Before joining the FBT Solutions team, Ron was the In-House Tax Manager at Ernst & Young for five years. Prior to that Ron was Tax Manager at TNT Australia Ltd. Before TNT he was Indirect Taxes Manager for Email Ltd, a large diverse Australian manufacturing company producing widely known household products (e.g. Westinghouse, Kelvinator, Simpson, Chef, Brownbuilt, Dorf, Lockwood and Whitco).
Before working within large corporates Ron was a Senior Investigation Officer with the Australian Taxation Office auditing taxpayers’ records to ensure compliance matters were met.
Our industry experience
- Financial Services
- Property & Construction
- Professional Services
- National & Local Sporting Bodies
- Charity Organisations
How we manage FBT Obligations
Our extensive FBT experience includes assisting businesses managing their FBT obligations, reducing their FBT liability and managing exposures:
- Provide Advice
- Prepare and Review of periodic and annual FBT Returns – See our Compliance Solutions
- Review and documentation of your compliance processes
- Implementation or Review of Salary Packaging arrangements
- Consider, Prepare and Lodge of Prior Year Amendments
- Undertake Risk Review
- Due Diligence
- Prepare or Review of Policies
- Review or Design of Expense Claim Processes
- Seminars & Training – one-on-one or Group Training
- Voluntary Disclosures
- Preparation for or Management of ATO Review or Audit
- FBT Manual Preparation
- Understanding the Interaction with other Taxes
Recent articles by Paul Mather
- FBT & Car Parking – Savings, Concessions & Some Tips to Consider (Mar 2013) – download
- LAFHA Changes Increase Employer Compliance Burden (Taxation in Australia Mar 2013) – download
- What’s up in Fringe Benefits Tax? (ICAA Charter Mar 2013) – download
- LAFHA Changes Require Payroll Support (The Association for Payroll Specialists Journal Jan 2013) – download
- FBT Audits & LAFHA: What You Need to Know (The Association for Payroll Specialists Journal Dec 2011 / Jan 2012) – download
- FBT Audits on the Rise (Charter, Mar 2011) – download
- FBT Audits: The ATO Takes Aim at Employers (Taxation in Australia, Feature, Dec 2011) – download
- Plan Early for FBT Returns (Charter, Feb 2010) – download